Celebrities and Dentures
Celebrities are people just like us, and just like us, they also have their own dental problems. And, some of those dental problems include missing teeth, so there are many celebrities who wear dentures. And, in this article, we will be going over the basics of dentures, such as types, how common they are, and which famous folks wear them.
And, if you have missing teeth, you can also get your own set of dentures and get that Hollywood smile. Additionally, if you’re still wondering where you can get your dream smile, Fresh Dental is the ideal choice in our opinion.
How Common Are Dentures?
Some celebs wear them, and you may even know a few people who do as well, but how common are dentures overall? Well, in a recent study done in 19 different countries, it was found that around 19% of people wear some type of denture, be it partial dentures, complete dentures, temporary or permanent dentures, and so on. To put it into perspective, 1 in 5 people is a denture wearer, so it’s safe to say that dentures are relatively common.
Types of Dentures
Before we go over our list of celebrities that wear dentures, let’s first briefly list and discuss the various types of dentures available.
Complete Full Dentures
Traditional complete full dentures are meant to replace all of your teeth. Unlike dental bridges that are fixed onto your teeth, complete dentures are seated on top of your gums. Typically, complete dentures will be placed on your teeth within 8-12 weeks after tooth removal.
Partial dentures are a good choice for people who still have some of their own teeth left. With partial dentures, a gum-colored base is attached to a metal piece, which is meant to hold your dentures.
A great thing about partial dentures is how practical they are, they’re convenient and practical, and you can remove them whenever you need to. They also prevent your remaining natural teeth from moving and help you maintain a healthy smile.
A celebrity who wear full dentures, or any dentures at all will usually opt for custom ones, after all, they’re more expensive and more natural looking than regular dentures, and they’re fully customizable.
Immediate dentures, as the name implies, are put in immediately after the teeth are extracted, usually on the very same day.
Implant Supported Dentures
Just as it implies, implant-supported dentures are securely supported by a dental implant. This provides support and a solid foundation, and it also makes sure the dentures stay in their place. And, it also gives it a nice natural look.
Snap-in dentures are the most stable choice since they’re held in place by dental implants or anchored onto your existing teeth. Due to their locator attachments, they’re removable but stable. This type of denture is usually recommended for patients who don’t have any teeth but still have enough bone for dental implants.
Overdentures sit on top of your gums and also stay in place with the help of dental implants. Depending on your needs, they can be placed on your upper or lower jaw. And, just like snap-ins, overdentures are also removable.
While you won’t usually see celebrities sporting economy dentures, they’re still a good choice due to their low price. Though, they usually won’t fit that well without denture adhesive and won’t look as natural as the other options.
Celebrities That Wear Dentures
Now, there are various celebs who wear dentures, from celebrities with full dentures to ones wearing partial dentures. So, let’s go ahead and list some of them and go over their denture-wearing experience.
- Ben Affleck – The famous Hollywood actor and film producer is one of the youngest celebrities with full mouth dentures. Though it’s rumored he’s recently switched to dental implants.
- Jon Bon Jovi – This 80’s rock legend has maintained the perfect smile for years and it’s all thanks to dentures. His custom-made dentures have a very natural look and keep him looking youthful.
- Janice Dickinson – This American supermodel is known for her fashion modeling abilities as well as her work as a TV host. And, she’s also known for her wearing dentures, which allow her to keep looking stunning as she approaches her 70s.
- Clark Gable – Clark Gable is a legend of old Hollywood, often referred to as the King of Hollywood. Aside from his acting talents, he was also known for his good looks – in which his charming smile played a big part. And, you’ve guessed it, his lovely smile charmed the American cinema thanks to a perfect set of dentures.
- Florence Henderson – Henderson’s career spanned over 6 decades and she appeared in films, TV shows, game shows, cooking shows, and so on. And, she also appeared as a spokesperson for Polident, which is a brand of denture cleaner, since she was a denture wearer herself.
- Joe Biden – The current American president, Joe Biden, has a brilliant smile, which can be important for not only movie stars, but politicians as well. We’re not sure if he’s another one like some of these other celebrities who wear full dentures, or if there are some implants or bridges hiding in there, regardless, he sure does have a president’s smile.
- Lou Reed – With Lou Reed we add another rocker to this list. With a five-decade career and his name permanently etched into the history of rock music, Lou Reed is a real legend. And, alongside his musical talent, he also had really nice teeth, courtesy of dentures, of course.
- Jim Carrey – The famous actor always had a killer smile, though, some chipped teeth got in the way of it. But, he ended up solving that with denture implants and regained his charming smile once again.